Re: [ANNOUNCE] usbmon capture and parser script

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Fri Mar 18 2011 - 13:21:50 EST

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 08:46 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On a quick test, it seems that it doesn't recognize the tcpdump file
> format (at least, it was not able to capture the dump files I got
> with the beagleboard). Adding support for it could be an interesting
> addition to your code.

Please note that Micah Dowty is the maintainer of vusb-analyzer. I
mostly cleaned, etc. its usbmon support (which was originally added by
Christoph Zimmermann). Anyway, you're always free to try to add support
for another file format. I must say that Micah was rather easy to work
with.

> Btw, it seems that most of your work is focused on getting VMware logs.

Micah had a vmware.com address last time I contacted him. That should
explain that focus.

> Do you know if any of them are now capable of properly emulate USB 2.0
> isoc transfers and give enough performance for the devices to actually
> work with such high-bandwidth requirements?

This is not something I know much about. I tried to use some digital
camera over USB with qemu without much success. Apparently qemu's USB
pass through has little chance of supporting high bandwidth USB devices.
See
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg00017.html
for the - not very interesting - answer I got when I wanted to know more
about the problems of USB pass through in qemu.

Paul Bolle