Re: Deadlock scenario in regulator core

From: David Collins
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 19:09:08 EST

On 03/22/2011 03:37 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 03:02:01PM -0700, David Collins wrote:
>> Assume that A has already called regulator_enable for S1 some time in the
>> past.
>>
>> Consumer A thread execution:
>> regulator_disable(S1)
>> mutex_lock(S1)
>> _regulator_disable(S1)
>> _notifier_call_chain(S1)
>> mutex_lock(L2)
>>
>> Consumer B thread execution:
>> regulator_enable(L2)
>> mutex_lock(L2)
>> _regulator_enable(L2)
>> mutex_lock(S1)
>>
>> The locks for S1 and L2 are taken in opposite orders in the two threads;
>> therefore, it is possible to achieve deadlock. I am not sure about the
>> best way to resolve this situation. Is there a correctness requirement
>> that regulator_enable holds the child regulator's lock when it attempts to
>> enable the parent regulator? Likewise, is the lock around
>> _notifier_call_chain required?
>
> I'm curious, if you had enabled lockdep, do you get a warning? If not,
> why not?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Steve
>
> --

I have tried running with lockdep enabled. It does not produce a warning
about possible deadlock from locks being taken in opposite orders in two
threads. I assume that this is because it can only keep track of locks
taken in the current stack backtrace.

It does produce a warning for regulator_disable by itself though on a
regulator with a non-empty supply_list:

[ INFO: possible recursive locking detected ]
2.6.38-rc7+ #231
sh/25 is trying to acquire lock:
(&rdev->mutex){+.+...}, at: [<c0137ae4>] _notifier_call_chain+0x28/0x6c

but task is already holding lock:
(&rdev->mutex){+.+...}, at: [<c0138410>] regulator_disable+0x24/0x74

The locks that it is noting are different; one is for the parent regulator
and the other is for the child regulator. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David