Re: Support for global block IO throttling?

From: Juerg Haefliger
Date: Wed Mar 23 2011 - 10:39:34 EST

Hi Vivek,

>> Are there any plans to support global (per cgroup) IO throttling in
>> the near future? I'm in need of this and would gladly work on it if
>> nobody else is and if people think this is a useful feature. What I
>> envision is that one can specify the limits of individual devices in a
>> group but also specify the overall aggregate limit of the whole group.
>> I just started looking at the throttling code and haven't quite
>> figured it out yet so it might take me a bit to get up to speed.
>
> Hi Juerg,
>
> What's the use case? Why do you need global block IO throttling?

Resource management for guest VMs. I want to make sure a VM cannot
exceed a certain IO limit. If the VM does IOs to only one device, it
gets the full specified bandwidth to that single device but if the VM
talks to multiple devices, it only gets a fraction of the global
bandwidth per device, not exceeded the global limit.

...Juerg