Re: RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Mar 23 2011 - 11:46:16 EST

On Wednesday 23 March 2011, Andy Green wrote:
> > So again, this problem, for this device, has been solved in userspace
> > without any kernel changes needed. If there are other devices that you,
>
> Not sure what you mean by 'again', 'solved in userspace' and so on.
> Your saying: "go away and do it in userspace" is different from it being
> "solved in userspace" in reality. The mess it would create in userspace
> isn't acceptable. The outcome of this is it's not fixed in the driver
> nor userspace.

I agree, doing the device naming in user space to solve this problem would
require identifying the board with the particular bug in a table that
is kept by the distro, and we currently don't even have a way to identify
a specific board. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on things like the
recently proposed /sys/devices/socinfo for identifying whether or not we
want to rename a USB ethernet device.

Arnd