recent kernels misidentify my Broadcom BCM4401-B0

From: Celejar
Date: Sat Mar 26 2011 - 22:53:15 EST

Hi,

With recent kernels (git pulls of vanillas sources from kernel.org,
mainline and 2.6.38.1), my Broadcom BCM4401-B0 Ethernet card, normally
driven by the b44 driver, has stopped working. Poking around, I
discovered that the card is (sometimes) no longer correctly identified;
it now (sometimes) shows up (with 'lspci -v' as root) as this bizarre
device:

06:01.0 Network and computing encryption device: Broadcom Corporation Device 0010 (rev 02) (prog-if 10)
Subsystem: Allied Telesis, Inc Device 0010
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 10
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=8K]

This is what it looks like when it's correctly detected:

06:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Kernel driver in use: b44

I'm currently seeing the problem with 2.6.38.1. What on earth is this
all about?

IIANM, the same kernel will sometimes detect the card correctly, and
sometimes incorrectly; this will make doing a bisection somewhat tricky.

Any suggestions, or further tests I should try, or information I should
provide?

[Please cc. me on replies.]

Celejar