Re: [Patch] proc: check error pointer returned by m_start()

From: Cong Wang
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 01:03:36 EST

ä 2011å03æ28æ 11:58, Linus Torvalds åé:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Amerigo Wang<amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is true, that commit changed the return value of m_start(),
which will return an error pointer on failure, but Al forgot
to check the error pointer in m_stop() which will be called
when m_start() fails. This patches fixes it.

I did this slightly differently, and put the check in m_stop()
instead, because I felt that matched the logic of m_start, while
vma_stop() is more of an internal helper thing.

Ok, I am fine with this, will send an updated patch.

I dunno. I don't think it matters. But one thing I reacted to was that
when I was walking through the logic, I really wanted to say "seq_file
is wrong to call m_stop if m_start returned an error code". I really
felt like "hwy, if ->start fails, we damn well shouldn't have called
->stop".

This is a good point and makes prefect sense.

But I guess we're stuck with that particular semantic for seq_files by now.

Yup, I guess there are some seq_file users still rely on this behavior,
we can fix them all later.

Thanks.