Re: [GIT pull] irq cleanups for .39

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Mar 29 2011 - 15:03:53 EST

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:55:49AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 03:05 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> >> So perhaps we should add one of those into the LKML-Reference and let
> >> the commit bot extract the thread reference from there.
> >
> > Yes. That would make it something usable to normal users.
> >

> My concern with that is that indexing services come and go (and which
> ones that offer indexing by message-id, which is the *only* permanent
> identifier, are even more subject to change), but things that go into
> the git history stays forever. In IETF terms, the message-id is the
> "resource name" (as in URN), as opposed to the "resource locator" (as in
> URL).
>
> There is of course the option of running a bounce service on kernel.org,
> as long as the Message-ID is included.

Yes, this would be very useful. For example, marc.info can do something
like that; you simply go and do

http://marc.info/?i=<message-id>

and it finds you the mail messages with that id it has indexed. You can
then browse the whole thread from there.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis Muenchen
Registergericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632