Re: [GIT pull] irq fixes for .39.rc

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Mar 30 2011 - 13:00:40 EST

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> get_irq_desc_data() maps to irq_desc_get_handler_data() so Richards
> >> resolution is correct even if the other might work as well.
> >
> > Older code which was not using any accessors has:
> >
> >      desc->handler_data
> >
> > But yeah, the init stuff is confusing as hell.
>
> So I took the handler_data version, but I do think the chip_data one
> seems to make more conceptual sense. It would be good if somebody who
> can actually test that code and knows all the details of the
> particular irq controller could just take a look, and decide on using
> one or the other, and not both.

I think I figured it out. The cascade interrupts do not set chip_data,
they set handler data in qe_ic_init().

The interrupts which are demultiplexed by the cascade handlers set
chip_data on different irq_desc instances. So Ben's resolution would
have resulted in a NULL pointer dereference.

Thanks,

tglx