Lenovo X220 Touchpad + Trackpoint BIOS issue workaround ?

From: Manoj
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 10:55:26 EST

The Lenovo X220 has a touch pad and a track point. I would like to get some clues as to if there is any work around in the kernel for the issue I am seeing below:

Case 1: Touchpad and Trackpoint enabled in BIOS.
In this case the touchpad works correctly, but the trackpoint is not detected at all. Some times after random number of reboots, the trackpoint will start to respond approximately 15mts after X starts. But the mouse will be detected as PS2 Generic Mouse.

Case 2: Touchpad Disabled Trackpoint Enabled in BIOS
In this case the trackpoint works as expected, and it is detected as TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint.
[ 9.675396] input: TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input9

I suspect this is a BIOS bug? Is it possible to work around this in the kernel?

--
Manoj Iyer
Ubuntu/Canonical