Re: [patch 13/15] sched: expire slack quota using generationcounters

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Apr 06 2011 - 04:15:53 EST

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 00:22 -0700, Paul Turner wrote:
> > Argh, this patch is terrible for the reason that it changes the whole
> > accounting just introduced and me having to re-open all the previous
> > patches to look up hth stuff worked before.
>
> I didn't think it was too drastic -- the introduction of the
> generation is more incremental. However I agree it does cause
> unnecessary churn within the accounting functions across the series.
> Given that expiring quota is a requirement, this can be streamlined by
> introducing some of these notions earlier in the series as opposed to
> bootstrapping them at the end here -- will clean it up.

Thanks, and yes, I imagine that when working with the patches for a few
days at end its all not really much of a problem, but for me its the
first look in many weeks and this is the 13th patch in and my brain is
about to turn to mush ;-)

I'll try and read the massive comment on the memory barrier bits once
I've managed to properly wake up..