Re: tip: New "Link:" tag to replace "LKML-Reference:"

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 10:54:28 EST

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:43 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 07:08 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> >
> > OK, so I fixed my scripts to match this and it all seems to work, except
> > for the:
> >
> > LKML-Reference: <new-submission>
> >
> > case, where the tip-bot would mail it out for me. While I try not to use
> > it too much its convenient for quick fixes etc. Will the absence of a
> > Link tag suffice or is there more to it?
> >

> OK, I have asked for a long time that we do not use <new-submission>.
>
> The recommended pattern has been:
>
> LKML-Reference: <tip-*@git.kernel.org>
>
> ... which at least indicates to the user how the message-ID is to be
> generated (* being a placeholder for the commit SHA1).

Oh, I never heard of that, it would've been easy to make my scripts do
that if that were the preferred form, a well.

> The only think I can think of for how to make Link: work would be to
> recognize a pattern that the tip-bot would use as its own Message-ID
> *instead* of the commit SHA1 pattern that it would normally use. There
> are disadvantages to every approach, of course.
>
> We have a couple of alternatives:
>
> a) Continue to use "LKML-Reference: <tip-*@git.kernel.org>"
> + At least gives a hint how to find the newly-formed LKML thread
> - Not a clickable link
> - Somewhat noisy
> b) Just Cc: everything to LKML regardless of tag
> + Easy
> - No way to *not* post everything to LKML
> - No way to locate the thread without knowing the magic
> c) A recognizable pattern with a unique pattern *generated by the
> committer*, something like:
> Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-`uuidgen -r`@git.kernel.org
> + Clickable link
> - Long (the above is 86 characters wide)
> - Message-IDs of a nonstandard form
> - Bad things will happen if someone re-uses an identifier
> - String has to be generated by machine at commit time
>
> [Using ranpwd instead of uuidgen allows for a more compact random string
> by using a wider character set. For example:
>
> Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-`ranpwd -l 24`@git.kernel.org
>
> ... has the same entropy but is 74 characters wide.]

Can't we use a prepare-commit-msg or commit-msg hook to re-write the
commit message to include a Link tag when one is missing, using
something like:

Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-$SHA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And have the post-commit hook that sends the messages recognize this
form and send the message using the correct msgid.

That way the commit includes a correct and clickable link, doesn't
require magic knowledge and doesn't need the committer to do extra work.