Re: [RFC] tracing: Adding cgroup aware tracing functionality

From: David Sharp
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 17:42:14 EST

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:00:56PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 03:37:48AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>> > I actually agree, as perf is more focused on per process (or group) than
>> > ftrace. But that said, I guess the issue is also, if they have a simple
>> > solution that is not invasive and suits their needs, what's the harm in
>> > accepting it?
>>
>> What about a kind of cgroup_of(path) operator that we can use on
>> filters?
>>
>> Â Â Â common_pid cgroup_of(path)
>> or
>> Â Â Â common_pid __cgroup_of__ path
>>
>> That way you don't bloat the tracing fast path?
>
> Note in this example, we would simply ignore the common_pid
> value and assume that pid is the one of current. This economizes
> a step to pid -> task resolution.

This is a decent idea, but I'm worried about the complexity of using
filters like this. Filters are written to *every* event that you want
the filter to apply to (if you set the top-level filter, it just
copies the filter to all applicable events), and this is a filter you
would mostly only want to apply to *all* events at once. Furthermore,
filters work by discarding the event *after* the event has already
been written, so all tasks will be incurring full tracing overhead.
With cgroup filtering up front, we can avoid ~90% [0] of the overhead
for untraced cgroups.

I'm also thinking that cgroups could be a way to expose tracing to
non-root users. Making it a filter doesn't work for that.

Hmm.. Maybe ftrace needs a "global filters" feature. cgroup and pid
would be prime candidates for this, perhaps there are others. These
would be an optional list of filters applied *before* writing the
event or reserving buffer space, so they could not use the event
fields. Mostly I'm thinking they would use things accessible from the
current task_struct.

If we could work all that out, then I would change a couple things:
one of my grand plans for tracing is to remove pid from every event,
and replace it with a tiny "pid_changed" event (unless "sched_switch"
et al is enabled). So I wouldn't want to attach it to common_pid at
all. Instead, I would make it a unary operator.

It also doesn't work with multiple hieranchies. When you refer to a
cgroup path of "/apps/container_3", are we talking about the cgroup
for cpu, or mem, or blkio, or all, or a subset? This is what the
"tracing_enabled" files in the cgroup filesystem in Vaibhav's proposal
were for. Maybe this could be an optional argument to the unary
operator.

So, the operator becomes:
cgroup_of(/path) means any subsystem,
cgroup_of(/path, cpu, mem) means cpu or mem.

d#

[0] This figure is made up. Like most statistics. ;)