Re: dmaengine: Can we schedule new transfer from dma callbackroutine??

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Mon Apr 11 2011 - 04:56:33 EST

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 01:25:04PM +0530, viresh kumar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In dw_dmac.c driver, dwc_descriptor_complete() routine, following is
> mentioned before calling callback:
>
> /*
> * The API requires that no submissions are done from a
> * callback, so we don't need to drop the lock here
> */
> if (callback)
> callback(param);
>
> Does this hold true for dmaengine??

Not for slave devices - see Dan's reply:

http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/lurker/message/20101223.005313.a38d7bf0.en.html

As the slave API hasn't been well documented, there's a lot of
inconsistency of behaviour between DMA engine slave implementations.
I'd suggest at least fixing slave DMA engine drivers to ensure that:

(a) the callback is always called in tasklet context
(b) the callback can submit new slave transactions (iow, the spinlock
which prep_slave_sg takes must not be held during the callback.)

The way that others solve this is to move the completed txd structures
to a local 'completed' list, and then walk this list after the spinlocks
have been dropped.

IOW, something like this:

my_tasklet()
{
INIT_LIST_HEAD(completed);

spin_lock_irqsave(my_chan->lock);
for_each_txd(my_txd, my_chan) {
if (has_completed(my_txd))
list_add_tail(my_txd->node, &completed);
}
spin_unlock_irqrestore(my_chan->lock);

list_for_each_entry_safe(my_txd, next, &completed, node) {
void *callback_param = my_txd->txd.callback_param;
void (*fn)(void *) = my_txd->txd.callback;

my_txd_free(my_chan, my_txd);

fn(callback_param);
}
}