Re: sysfs: cannot create duplicate filename

From: Sebastian Ott
Date: Tue Apr 12 2011 - 10:40:01 EST

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 07:50:34PM +0200, Sebastian Ott wrote:

> > > But again, what kernel code today does this? I think they all have
> > > locks to keep this from happening, right?
> > I couldn't find a bus who protects device_register against driver_register
> > and I don't think this is something which should be handled by every
> > individual bus but from within the driver core.
>
> How did you cause the oops in this original message? What type of bus
> was it on? And did your patch solve the issue?

I've seen this warning on a system which had a lot of devices attached.
Those devices also responded _very_ slow. So it took some time to
register all these deivces (qeth) on the bus (ccw). During this time
the qeth module got loaded and registered the qeth driver.

Since i've never seen this warning and those devices normally don't
take so much time to respond I wrote the beforementioned module to
reproduce the race and make sure that this is no driver issue.

With this module the warning could be triggered after a few cycles.
With the patch applied, I did not see the warning again even after
> 10.000 cycles.

regards,
Sebastian