bug in radeon driver module of linux 2.6.38 (since 2.6.35)

From: Martin Teufel
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 18:25:38 EST

Hi,

I encountered a bug in the radeon driver module of 2.6.37 which still
exists in 2.6.38.
I have a mainboard called M2A-VM which has VGA, DVI and display port as
graphic output ports. When I boot Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 2.6.37 or
2.6.38 I get every 10 seconds:

radeon 0000:01:05.0: HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 invalid.
[drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID

This error message is spamming to tty1 (and because of my configuration
to ttyS0 too). With radeon.modeset=0 set, I get rid of this messages by
disabling KMS for this driver.
This behaviour is also described here:

My board has no HDMI port btw. - I think the driver should either not
search for the HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 resp. a HDMI connected monitor
while the board has no HDMI port at all or just probe for it once
instead of every 10 seconds. I don't see any reason for probing every 10
seconds but I don't know if there is one.

Please note that I'm *not* on the mailing list, so please send me a CC
of your answer(s) - thanks.

Regards,
Martin