Re: i915 drm GPU hung errors with kernel 2.6.38.2 on 82865G chipset

From: Chris Wilson
Date: Sat Apr 16 2011 - 02:07:42 EST

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:07:51 +0200, wzab <wzab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Today I have experienced two "GPU hungs" on machine with 82865G chipset
> working with 2.6.38.2 kernel
> In the /var/log/syslog I have found the following errors:
>
> Apr 15 22:50:51 wzab kernel: [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR*
> Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung

As Bruno said there is a /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state file
that contains a GPU dump at the time of the error which often contains the
vital clue at to what went wrong. If you can also think back to what was
happening on the machine at the time of the hang, that can also help
identify the trigger and the suspect code.

Thanks,
-Chris