SPI read problem

From: Murali K. Vemuri
Date: Tue Apr 19 2011 - 07:41:13 EST

Hello there,
I have a device which is Written_to/Read_from using SPI Bus.

I initialize the device like this:

static int __init myDEV_init(void)
{
return spi_register_driver(&myDEV_driver);
}
module_init(myDEV_init);

My myDEV_probe() function looks like this:

static int __devinit myDEV_probe(struct spi_device *spi)
{
/*when my CPU receives a particular IRQ, I have to do a spi_read() and
do couple of spi_write(), I am using like this:*/
err = request_threaded_irq (MY_DEV_IRQ, NULL, myDEV_irq_thread,
IRQF_TRIGGER_RISING, "MYDEV", NULL);

return 0;
}

When the Interrupt is received by the CPU, myDEV_irq_thread is being called.
However, in the ISR I have to do spi_read(). This is always returning
"Timed out".

To verify if the device is not at all working, along with registering
for the IRQ, I also created a char device through I did a IOCTL.
The IOCTL command in turn does spi_read(). In this case spi_read() is
successful.

Since it is necessary to do spi_read() in my ISR, I searched around
and found some information that
spi_read() is callable only from contexts that can sleep.

How can I make my ISR sleep? or is there any other way of doing this?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks & regards
Murali