Re: SPI read problem

From: Pei Lin
Date: Wed Apr 20 2011 - 22:05:44 EST

2011/4/21 Murali K. Vemuri <vemuri.muralikrishna@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This should be fine. The thread can sleep just fine. We do this
>> all over the place. Could be something to do with the irq
>> handling on the device.

>> That's very suspicious. What spi controller are we dealing with here?

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I tried using "tasklet", "workqueue" and semaphore ... all my attempts failed.
>>> if there is any other method I should try, please let me know.
>> Something nastier is happening here. It's not a problem with what you've
>> presented in this email. Perhaps a minimum example of the full code surrounding
>> the problem may help us diagnose it.
>>

> Thanks a lot for the inputs. this is the read function I have:
> (What I am trying to do is read register E6 of my device, the
> register width is 16 bits.).
>
> static struct spi_device * my_SPI_DEV; (this is populated in the probe function)
>
> static int myDEV_read(u8 * buf, u16 len)
> {
> int err;
> err = spi_read(my_SPI_DEV, buf, len);
> return err;
> }
> static int read_e6()
> {
> u8 buf[3];
> int err;
> buf[0] = 0xe6;
> buf[1] = 0x00;
> buf[2] = 0x00;
> err = myDEV_read(buf, 3);
> printk(KERN_ERR "myDEV read returned: %d\n",err);
> return err;
> }
>
> Now, this function read_e6() is called from the ISR I mentioned above.

spi_read will call spi_sync and this call may only be used from a
context that may sleep. The sleep
is non-interruptible, and has no timeout. should use in
non-interruptable context.
you should put the spi_read on context which can sleep, as bottom half
"work queue"
Or use spi_async interface.

> 90% of time, the read returns "-5" (I/O Error) and about 10% time it
> gets "0". However I added a little hexdump to check the content in
> case the return value is "0". The register content is always "0".
>
> Please let me know if I am doing any mistake.
> Thanks & regards
> Murali
> --

Best Regards