Re: 2.6.38.3 and 2.6.39-rc4 hangs after "Booting the kernel" on quadPentium Pro system

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Fri Apr 22 2011 - 15:10:16 EST

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Chris Samuel <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This box has given me good service over the past 8 years or
>> so and I'd hate to have to retire it now due to this when I
>> feel Linux should still work on it..
>>
>> Any ideas please ?
>
> Have you tried the earlyprintk=vga boot parameter yet? Maybe that shows more
> than just a silent hang ...
>
> Other than that, do you have some other box where you can build bzImages for
> this system in reasonable time? If yes then you might be able to bisect to the
> commit that broke it.

with Chris's config for 2.6.39-rc4, current tip tree says:

kernel/sched.c: In function ‘sched_init’:
kernel/sched.c:7845:28: error: ‘load_balance_tmpmask’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:7845:28: note: each undeclared identifier is reported
only once for each function it appears in
kernel/sched.c:7845:3: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in type name
kernel/sched.c:7845:28: warning: initialization makes pointer from
integer without a cast
kernel/sched.c:7845:3: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in type name