Re: 2.6.38.3 and 2.6.39-rc4 hangs after "Booting the kernel" on quad Pentium Pro system

From: Chris Samuel
Date: Sat Apr 23 2011 - 02:44:26 EST

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:03:55 PM H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I suspect this broke during the rewrite of the setup code to
> C in 2007.

Looking at arch/x86/boot/memory.c I see the snipped:

} else {
/*
* This ignores memory above 16MB if we have a memory
* hole there. If someone actually finds a machine
* with a memory hole at 16MB and no support for
* 0E820h they should probably generate a fake e820
* map.
*/
boot_params.alt_mem_k = oreg.ax;
}

Could this be what's going on ? Or am I just grasping at straws ? :-)

cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Samuel : http://www.csamuel.org/ : Melbourne, VIC

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP