Re: Kernel crash after using new Intel NIC (igb)

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Apr 27 2011 - 00:33:01 EST

Le mercredi 27 avril 2011 Ã 06:24 +0200, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :

> We had similar reports in the past that disappeared when adding
> "slab_nomerge" to boot parameters. We suspect a memory corruption from
> another part of kernel on 64bytes kmemcache objects.
>
> In 2.6.37, inetpeer code uses 64bytes objects. Using slab_nomerge and
> SLUB allocator (as you already do), makes sure inetpeer kmemcache wont
> be shared by other 64bytes objects in kernel.

Of course, the right option name is slub_nomerge

vi +2293 Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

slub_nomerge [MM, SLUB]
Disable merging of slabs with similar size. May be
necessary if there is some reason to distinguish
allocs to different slabs. Debug options disable
merging on their own.
For more information see Documentation/vm/slub.txt.