Re: EFF's Open Wireless Movement - solutions for Linux 802.11 APs

From: Larry Finger
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 14:15:24 EST

On 04/28/2011 12:05 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
The EFF announced an effort and desire to promote open wireless
networks instead of closed encrypted networks to help users with
connectivity. They have come up with some alternative proposals and
challenges which they are asking for review / help on. As far as Linux
is concerned I've started a wiki [2] to cover what we can do for
802.11 Linux based APs. Feel free to extend the wiki as you see fit
and / or subscribe for changes.

There is no doubt that the EFF means well; however, there is one situation that they seem to ignore. If any part of my AP is unencrypted and some outsider uses it to download child pornography, the IP address in any server logs is mine. If the authorities recover those logs as part of a criminal investigation and investigate the clients, they will immediately come to me. How do I prove that I am innocent of the porno charge and only guilty of being a good citizen and providing wireless access to the public? I do not relish the thought of becoming a registered sex offender.

Of course, I could add a strong web filter to my Internet access, but that is an expense in time and money that I would prefer to avoid as only my wife and I use the connection. I trust her, and I think she trusts me.

Yes, my WPA2 link is not completely secure, but my 28-character, non-dictionary pass phrase is hard to crack.

Larry