Re: acer_wmi: "Unable to detect available WMID devices" on Acer_Travelmate_5735Z-452G32Mnss (was: Re: i915/kms/backlight-combo mode problem)

From: Melchior FRANZ
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 03:44:57 EST

* Joey Lee -- Sunday 01 May 2011:
> I am tracing DSDT for why the WMID2 method return acpi fail, and maybe
> this machine direct support standard ACPI backlight method.

Excellent! :-)

> Does this machine's backlight control works before 2.6.39 kernel? I mean
> does backlight control works fine on 2.6.38 or 37 or even older kernel ?

Yes, it worked before, but also only with acpi_osi=Linux. I'm not
sure about the versions, but I think it already worked with whatever
opensuse 11.3 and 11.4 came with (some 2.6.34.* and 2.6.37.*). This
notebook came with "Linpus" Linux pre-installed, and everything
worked with that. Unfortunately, the notebook specific code was
apparently put in a binary blob module. Disgusting.

m.