linux-firmware tree

From: Mike Waychison
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 14:58:04 EST

Hi David,

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the linux-firmware tree.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the only information
about it I could find was your original post back in 2008:
https://lwn.net/Articles/294308/

Will the Linux kernel sources always continue to have the firmware
blobs and the linux-firmware tree is only for those users of distros
that strip the firmware out?

I'm trying to understand if there would ever be a need to integrate
the linux-firmware tree into our builds (we build a derivative of
Linus' tree).

Thanks,

Mike Waychison