Re: USB keyboard recognized as HID keyboard but doesn't work

From: Adi J. Sieker
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 05:40:37 EST

On 03/05/11 00:29, Alan Stern wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2011, Adi J. Sieker wrote:

Interestingly, the usbmon trace shows that the interrupt endpoint for
interface 1 isn't being used by usbhid. I don't know why, but it
shouldn't make much difference for your purposes since that interface
appears to be associated with the gaming interface. But maybe I'm
wrong and it is important somehow...

The other noticeable thing is that the keyboard didn't accept the
Set-Idle request for interface 1.

You said before that the keyboard worked okay when driven by a guest
Windows OS, right? Can you collect an equivalent usbmon trace for
that? Comparing the two traces may be instructive.

I hope this is what you meant. :)
Attached is a usbmon trace when I attach the keyboard to a VBox VM
running a Windows XP guest. I have no idea how to get a USB trace from
within Windows. The last block is when I pressed h twice in the Windows
XP guest.

This is perfect. It shows that the H key is reported using the
interrupt endpoint on interface 1, which explains why it's not working
with usbhid. It also shows that the rejected Set-Idle request doesn't
matter.

Do you know of a way for me to tell the kernel/usbhid to use interface 1 and ignore interface 0?

Thanks
Adi