RE: Error in Hyper-V modules hv_vmbus

From: Hank Janssen
Date: Wed May 04 2011 - 12:01:00 EST

> -----Original Message-----
> From: jdossantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:jdossantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:48 AM
> To: Hank Janssen
> Cc: KY Srinivasan; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Error in Hyper-V modules hv_vmbus
> > Hank.
>
> Here is my step by step protocol:

Thanks for the detailed setup. I will be trying it with this.

> lsmod | grep hv_
> hv_timesource 1055 0 [permanent]
> hv_vmbus 48554 1
>
> In the logs and with lsmod i see the timesource module running, but
> the
> time is not in sync with the windows host.
> Shutdown function also dosn't work, seems that nothing of the
> integrated components are working..hv_netvsc,hv_blkvsc,hv_storvsc are
> not
> loaded?! But modinfo provides information:

Timesource makes sure that the clock does not drift and uses Hyper-V for
Its stable time source.

The setting of the clock equal to the host is provided by the hv_utils.ko
Module. This module also provides heartbeat, shutdown and KVP functionality.

> After that I enabled the synthetic network card, but also here..it
> doesn't work and I don't see any hv_netvsc
> module loaded, so I tried to load it "by hand" with modprobe
> hv_netvsc..but I get a modprobe timeout and nothing happens..

I should know more in the next day or so when I get a VM up and running.

It works fine on Ubuntu, I submitted a few patches to them a few weeks ago
To fix some other problems (these patches are already in mainline)

Hank.