Re: [block IO crash] Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed May 04 2011 - 17:41:08 EST

On Wed, 4 May 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that cmpxchg *IS*NOT*AN*CMPXCHG*AT*ALL*. Not even on UP.
>
> Btw, the really sad thing is that as far as I can tell, the
> cmpxchg64_local() function that we define actually gets this *right*,
> with a helper function that actually works (and disables interrupts)
> and all the alternative_io() stuff to then use the right instruction
> automatically if the CPU supports it, rather than making it a
> hardcoded decision.
>
> But we don't use it, because the "percpu_cmpxchg8b_double()" code
> rolls its own inferior version, and has slightly different semantics
> (ie the whole "return value success" thing).

Yeah, I tripped over that as well. And the new shiny extra
CONFIG_CMPXCHG_DOUBLE misfeature Christoph nailed together is just
ignoring it as well. It's just more useless #ifdef and CONFIG bloat.

That whole this_cpu_* stuff seems to be designed by committee. A quick
grep shows that max. 10% of the implemented macro hell is actually
used. Can we get rid of all unused ones and bring them back when they
are actually required?

Thanks,

tglx