Re: Fix powerTOP regression with 2.6.39-rc5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 16:52:30 EST

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I strongly NACK this!

Doesn't matter.

Binary compatibility is more important.

And if binaries don't use the interface to parse the format (or just
parse it wrongly - see the fairly recent example of adding uuid's to
/proc/self/mountinfo), then it's a regression.

And regressions get reverted, unless there are security issues or
similar that makes us go "Oh Gods, we really have to break things".

I don't understand why this simple logic is so hard for some kernel
developers to understand. Reality matters. Your personal wishes matter
NOT AT ALL.

If you made an interface that can be used without parsing the
interface description, then we're stuck with the interface. Theory
simply doesn't matter.

You could help fix the tools, and try to avoid the compatibility
issues that way. There aren't that many of them.

Linus