Re: Patch not upstream: fix race between open and removal of framebuffers

From: John Johansen
Date: Sat May 07 2011 - 01:05:04 EST

On 05/05/2011 09:54 AM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 04/02/2011 09:37 AM, Anca Emanuel wrote:

<< snip >>

> I can use de PC, but when it wake up from S3, hangs.
> full dmesg at: http://pastebin.com/rhMJrF2x
> uname -a
> Linux ubuntu 2.6.39-rc6 #7 SMP Wed May 4 12:26:39 EEST 2011 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I read that Ubuntu have something like 150 patches NOT upstreamed. Why ?
> And other guys complaining about the hard work they do to maintain
> stable and mainline.
>
> If you not upstream your work, then what is the ideea ? Keep it only
> for Ubuntu users ?

No, it a diff of about 150 patches for natty from the base 2.6.38 kernel.
We upstream our patches. Sometimes some patches will slip through for a
while, but they will go up.

Of the 150 or so patches not "upstream" there are only a few that are
ubuntu specific. Some of the patches are backports from patches upstream
for 2.6.39, some are from linux-next or other development branches,
and some are from projects that aren't upstream for one reason or another
(eg. aufs).

Our delta is public, well documented and available to be examined any
time. Just pull our kernels from

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-oneiric.git
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-natty.git
..