Re: PATCH] mm: Use alloc_bootmem_node_nopanic on really needed path

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat May 07 2011 - 04:23:21 EST

* Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/06/2011 03:39 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Fri, 06 May 2011 15:29:41 -0700
> > Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Stefan found nobootmem does not work on his system that only have 8M ram.
> >
> > What does "does not work" mean? From the patch, it appears that the
> > machine paniced?
>
> yes, early panic.

Why the heck did you not share this information in the original changelog
itself? Do you think maintainers enjoy having to waste time asking you again
and again to clarify your changelogs?

Changelogs need specificity. "does not work" is 10 times worse than "we saw an
early crash" or "the system booted up with only 10% of the physical RAM
visible". There are many degrees of "does not work".

Thanks,

Ingo