Re: Fix powerTOP regression with 2.6.39-rc5

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat May 07 2011 - 13:59:46 EST

On 5/7/2011 10:20 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 16:44 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Steven Rostedt<rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2) we separate perf from ftrace and keep the "stable" ABI for perf, and let
ftrace advance into a more efficient tracer.
The thing is, ftrace is still largely separated from perf, and this is why this
regression came in: a random tracing 'cleanup' churn was done to 'tracing'
which broke PowerTop.

Look at the commit itself:

e6e1e2593592: tracing: Remove lock_depth from event entry

Clearly you didnt even *realize* that there's a whole tooling world behind this
mechanism ...
Note, I discussed this change with Frederic and he totally agreed with
me on removing it. In fact, we are in discussions about getting rid of
pid, preempt-count, and irq flags as well. But according to your logic,
that is a no go. I guess Frederic also does not *realize* there's a
whole tooling world behind this mechanism too.

btw if you remove some of these, how is userland supposed to find out if an event happened in irq context?