Re: [Stable-review] [12/28] x86, cpu: Clean up AMD erratum 400workaround

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 11:38:44 EST

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 08:13:05AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 04:02:19PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 08:58:59AM -0400, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > I read that:
> > >
> > > "
> > > Support for Always Running APIC timer (ARAT) was introduced in
> > > commit db954b5898dd3ef3ef93f4144158ea8f97deb058. This feature
> > > allows us to avoid switching timers from LAPIC to something else
> > > (e.g. HPET) and go into timer broadcasts when entering deep
> > > C-states.
> > >
> > > AMD processors don't provide a CPUID bit for that feature but
> > > they also keep APIC timers running in deep C-states (except for
> > > cases when the processor is affected by erratum 400). Therefore
> > > we should set ARAT feature bit on AMD CPUs.
> > > "
> > >
> > > This implies that the HPET was previously used during deep C-states, and
> > > that all this erratum checking is about deciding whether the CPU has
> > > ARAT. So what bug is being fixed by using ARAT instead of the HPET?
> >
> > That's a good question, actually. The original upstream commit
> > b87cf80af3ba4b4c008b4face3c68d604e1715c6 wasn't tagged for stable and
> > Boris O. didn't send it to stable either, as I'm being told.
> >
> > Maybe Greg has an idea?
>
> I added it because it was needed to get another errata patch to apply
> properly, and I saw no reason not to apply other "quirks" like this to
> older kernels, right?
>
> Or should I not have done that?

Nah, I wouldn't say that. While this patch doesn't directly fix a
regression, it does away with the erratum 400 workaround where we switch
to HPET so it is more or less a regression fix for current and future
machines which aren't affected by that erratum. Besides reading the
LAPIC is much cheaper so we should be getting even a slight performance
bump with it.

So no, I don't see a problem with the patch being in stable.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis Muenchen
Registergericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632