Re: [rfc patch 3/6] mm: memcg-aware global reclaim

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 05:53:15 EST

On Thu 12-05-11 16:53:55, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> A page charged to a memcg is linked to a lru list specific to that
> memcg. At the same time, traditional global reclaim is obvlivious to
> memcgs, and all the pages are also linked to a global per-zone list.
>
> This patch changes traditional global reclaim to iterate over all
> existing memcgs, so that it no longer relies on the global list being
> present.

At LSF we have discussed that we should keep a list of over-(soft)limit
cgroups in a list which would be the first target for reclaiming (in
round-robin fashion). If we are note able to reclaim enough from those
(the list becomes empty) we should fallback to the all groups reclaim
(what you did in this patchset).

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs