AT91: SPI: On implementing peripheral chip select decoding

From: Christian Gagneraud
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 12:46:09 EST

Hi there,

The AT91SAM9G20 SPI controller (and possibly other SAM9 or other SoC) has the ability to work with CS decoding, thus allowing up to 15 peripherals with only 4 CS lines (CS[0:3]=0xF meaning no peripheral selected).
I would like to know if anyone has experimented with this feature, or if anyone has advices/ideas on how to add support for this feature in the linux kernel.

Before starting to work on this, I would like to know if this feature is common on other platforms or if it's AT91 specific.
In the former case, it might be wise to include it in the SPI subsystem, and in the latter case keep it inside AT91 code.

Chris