Re: [GIT PULL] isci merge candidate

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon May 16 2011 - 23:56:36 EST

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 10:49 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 01:14:40PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> > The isci driver team has now completed the major rework items addressed
> > in the review on linux-scsi (including removal of state handlers,
> > merging lldd and 'core', cleaning up the source code layout).
>
> I've looked over the driver a bit and I'm quite impressed with what
> you're archived in the short time since taking over the driver from
> whoever came up with the mess that it was initially.

Yes, me too, thanks for doing this.

> I don't think you're quite done yet with the todo list that was given
> to you yet. One thing that springs to mind is wrappers in timers.c,
> which are not just ugly, but in case of isci_task_execute_tmf is plain
> wrong as the implementation assumes all timers have the same lifetime
> rules as the isci_host. You'll need to at least replace that last usage
> with a direct wait_for_completion_timeout, and even better get rid
> of it entirely.
>
> Also not quite done yet, although I'm happy with postponing that for now
> is the unification of the various data structures from the different
> layers of the original driver, e.g. isci_phy vs scic_sds_phy,
> isci_port vs scic_sds_port, isci_remote_device vs scic_sds_remote_device
> and isci_request vs scic_sds_request.

Give me a feel for this: If we put the driver in now, all cleanups
effectively get postponed until .41 (because they're no longer really
-rc candidates). If the driver gets included in a .40-rc, we have a
couple more months to get the basic cleanups done.

Dan, where's the hardware release at ... as in how urgent is 39-rc last
vs .40 rc?

> And of course there's a lot of room for additional further cleanups
> that should be able to shave off another couple thousands of lines, but
> these never were on the plate for the initial merge anyway.

Right ... I'm happy with the basic progress so far.

James