RE: sata_mv port lockup on hotplug (kernel 2.6.38.2)

From: Bruce Stenning
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 11:30:31 EST

Hi Tejun,

> So, here's the patch which should fix the problem you're seeing and
> doesn't break the controllers which generate spurious hotplug events
> during reset. Please test this when you come back and let me know the
> result.

I have tested this patch out a fair amount, and it seemed to make things
much more reliable, but I have managed to lock up the port again this
afternoon. Below is some tracing showing ata4 being frozen and not thawed:

__ata_port_freeze: ata4 port frozen
ata4: hard resetting link
sata_link_hardreset: ENTER
ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-32)
sata_link_hardreset: EXIT, rc=-32
ata4: reset failed (errno=-32), retrying in 33 secs
__ata_port_freeze: ata4 port frozen
ata4: hard resetting link
sata_link_hardreset: ENTER
ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-32)
sata_link_hardreset: EXIT, rc=-32
ata4: reset failed, giving up
ata_eh_recover: EXIT, rc=-32
ata4.00: disabled
ata4: EH complete
ata_scsi_error: EXIT

The IRQ for that port is masked off afterwards.

Bruce.

Latest News at: http://www.indigovision.com/index.php/en/news.html