Re: [GIT PULL] isci merge candidate

From: Dan Williams
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 18:11:30 EST

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:56 PM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> Give me a feel for this: If we put the driver in now, all cleanups
> effectively get postponed until .41 (because they're no longer really
> -rc candidates).  If the driver gets included in a .40-rc, we have a
> couple more months to get the basic cleanups done.

...all cleanups and the features like atapi support that were deferred
to get this initial cleanup done would be delayed until .41.

> Dan, where's the hardware release at ... as in how urgent is 39-rc last
> vs .40 rc?

Re-reviewed this internally with the latest hardware schedule and it
seems a .40-rc merge is workable. Especially in light of the caveats
that would be specified for the .39 and .40 version of the driver if
we merged now.

>> And of course there's a lot of room for additional further cleanups
>> that should be able to shave off another couple thousands of lines, but
>> these never were on the plate for the initial merge anyway.
> Right ... I'm happy with the basic progress so far.

Which achieves the goal of demonstrating that the driver is on a solid
upstream trajectory. Just need to take the opportunity to get things
finalized properly in .40-rc.

To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at