Re: [RFC v3 0/8] x86, xsave: rework of extended state handling, LWPsupport

From: Andreas Herrmann
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 14:02:35 EST

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:30:20PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Hans Rosenfeld <hans.rosenfeld@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:23:05AM -0400, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI, the bits in tip:x86/xsave crash on boot on an AMD X2 testbox:
> >
> > > Full crashlog and kernel config attached. I've excluded x86/save from
> > > tip:master for now.
> >
> > this issue has been fixed a few weeks ago.
> >
> > Are there any plans to include x86/xsave into tip:master again?
>
> Regarding the LWP bits, that branch was indeed excluded because of that crash,
> while re-checking the branch today i noticed at least one serious design error
> in it, which makes me reconsider the whole thing:

Independend of all the concerns and useful comments regarding LWP ...
it seems to me that patches 1-7 are still of use (cleaning up the
save/restore code making it more maintainable).

Wouldn't it make sense to add patches 1-7 to a branch that is tested
with linux-next to find potential regressions?

Andreas