Re: net: add seq_before/seq_after functions

From: Sven Eckelmann
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 05:21:32 EST

On Thursday 19 May 2011 11:08:24 David Miller wrote:
> From: Sven Eckelmann <sven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:54:32 +0200
>
> > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 14:38:39 Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> >> Introduce two operations to handle comparison between packet sequence
> >> numbers taking into account overflow/wraparound. Batman-adv uses
> >> these functions already to check for successor packet even in case of
> >> overflow.
> >
> > Thanks for your efforts to bring that to the kernel. But when you prepare
> > a patch then you have to add a signoff. And also David S. Miller is the
> > maintainer for this header - it would be interesting to ask him first
> > when we want to change that file.
>
> Well it makes no sense to add these interfaces until we see an
> upstream submission of code which will actually use it.
>
> Also I'm skeptical that such generic sounding interfaces make
> sense when it appears to me that these are protocol specific
> sequence number tests so probably belong in whatever protocol
> is upcoming which will use these interfaces.
>
> Again, this is why we want to see the code that's going to use
> these new routines before we can seriously consider adding them
> at all.

This is currently used by vis.c in net/batman-adv and could also be used by
ppp-generic.c (with my changes of course). And it is planned to be used by
transtable.c in net/batman-adv. The idea was to propose this to linux-
kernel/netdev before we move it to a place were only batman-adv can use it
(the current situation is that vis.c in batman-adv can only use it).

It is ok that you say that it should be batman-adv specific - we only wanted
to ask first.

Thanks,
Sven