Re: [RFC] ib_srpt: initial .40-rc1 drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt merge

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 06:40:29 EST

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger
<nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The srpt_port->port_wwn patch in question does
> current ensure that sport->enabled has been set via an configfs
> attribute at:
>
>   /sys/kernel/config/target/srpt/$IB_PORT_GUID/tpgt_1/enable
>
> and will reject all SRP login attempts to an individual struct srpt_port
> until the attribute has been explictly triggered.
>
> This allows ib_srpt to follow what is expected by rtsadmin-v2 +
> lio-utils, and used to generate /etc/target/srpt_start.sh used to save
> persistent fabric configuration.  Currently other fabrics like
> iscsi-target and tcm_qla2xxx expect to be able to reject fabric login
> requests before the full set of WWPN endpoints, LUNs, NodeACLs +
> MappedLUNs have been recreated during an typical init.d/target start
> operation.
>
> I think it makes sense to do the same for the SRPT control plane on an
> individual HCA port GUID basis as long as there are no underlying fabric
> issues, and that Roland is happy.  In terms of supporting more than one
> type of /sys/kernel/config/target/srpt/$WWPN/$TPGT/ layout, I would
> really like to avoid this for mainline code unless there is a really
> good reason..

I'm still wondering whether it was a good idea to switch from ib<n>
style names to port GIDs. Not only will that make it hard for users to
match the ib<n> names already assigned to InfiniBand HCAs with target
port names but this also deviates from the naming scheme used for any
other Linux device. Ethernet devices e.g. appear as eth<n> in /dev
instead of a MAC address like 00:1a:64:10:18:6f.

Bart.