Re: Ptrace documentation, draft #1

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 15:50:36 EST

On 05/18, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Note: currently a killed PT_TRACE_EXIT tracee can stop and report
> > PTRACE_EVENT_EXIT before it actually exits. I'd say this is wrong and
> > should be fixed.
>
> Yes, I assumed this is normal.
> Or do you mean that *killed* tracee (that is, by signal) also stops there?

Yes.

> >> Tracer can kill a tracee with ptrace(PTRACE_KILL, pid, 0, 0).
> >
> > Oh, no. This is more or less equivalent to PTRACE_CONT(SIGKILL) except
> > PTRACE_KILL doesn't return the error if the tracee is not stopped.
> >
> > I'd say: do not use PTRACE_KILL, never. If the tracer wants to kill
> > the tracee - kill or tkill should be used.
>
> Regardless. We need to tell users what to expect after they do PTRACE_KILL.

Once again, PTRACE_KILL == ptrace(PTRACE_CONT, SIGKILL), except it
doesn't return the error if the tracee is not stopped.

OTOH, it does the unconditional wakeup, but I don't think we should
document this bug.

> >> When any thread executes exit_group syscall, every tracee reports its
> >> death to its tracer.
> >>
> >> ??? Is it true that *every* thread reports death?
> >
> > Yes, if you mean do_wait() as above.
>
> And will PTRACE_EVENT_EXIT happen for *every* tracee (which has it configured)?

Oh. This depends on /dev/random. Most probably the exiting tracee
dequeues the (implicit) SIGKILL and report PTRACE_EVENT_EXIT. Oh,
unless arch_ptrace_stop_needed() is true. But it can exit on its own
or deque another fatal signal, then it won't stop because of
fatal_signal_pending().

In short: this should be fixed. We already discussed this a bit (many
times ;), first of all we should define the correct behaviour. If you
ask me, personally I think PTRACE_EVENT_EXIT should be always reported
unless the task was explicitly killed by SIGKILL. But this is not clear.

> >> Kernel delivers an extra SIGTRAP to tracee after execve syscall
> >> returns. This is an ordinary signal (similar to one generated by kill
> >> -TRAP), not a special kind of ptrace-stop. If PTRACE_O_TRACEEXEC option
> >> is in effect, a PTRACE_EVENT_EXEC-stop is generated instead.
> >>
> >> ??? can this SIGTRAP be distinguished from "real" user-generated SIGTRAP
> >>     by looking at its siginfo?
> >
> > Afaics no. Well, except .si_pid shows that the signal was sent by the
> > tracing process to itself.
>
> What about si_code? Is it set to SI_KERNEL for this signal?

No, SI_USER.

> > I'd say it is better to assume nobody sends SIGTRAP to the tracee.
> > Even if the tracer could filter out the "real" signals, SIGTRAP doesn't
> > queue.
>
> Yes, I understand that the race with real SIGTRAPs is not fixable.
> I mostly look for a way for tracer to say "aha, this is that pesky
> SIGTRAP from execve, ignore it". One way is to set PTRACE_O_TRACEEXEC.

Yes.

> Is GETSIGINFO another?

How? We simply send SIGTRAP as if it was sent by kill(), the tracee
will dequeue this signal and report later.

> >> ??? Are syscalls interrupted by signals which are suppressed by tracer?
> >>     If yes, document it here
> >
> > Please reiterate, can't understand.
>
> Let's say tracee is in nanosleep. Then some signal arrives,

note that the tracee is already interrupted here, sys_nanosleep()
returns ERESTART_RESTARTBLOCK.

> but tracer decides to ignore it. In tracer:
>
> waitpid: WIFSTOPPED, WSTOPSIG = some_sig <===
> ptrace(PTRACE_CONT, pid, 0, 0) ===>
>
> will this interrupt nanosleep in tracee?

Yes and no. Once again, the tracee already returned from sys_nanosleep,
but it will restart this syscall (actually, it will do sys_restart_syscall)
and continue to sleep.

> >> As of kernel 2.6.38, after tracer sees tracee ptrace-stop and until it
> >> restarts or kills it, tracee will not run,
> >
> > Well, this is not exactly true. Initially the tracee sleeps in TASK_STOPPED
> > and thus it can be woken by SIGCONT. But the first ptrace request changes
> > turns this state into TASK_TRACED.
>
> > This was already changed by the pending patches.
>
> This is an extremely subtle point, and is not really a part of API "as
> designed":

I think this was never designed ;)

> I propose to not document it, as you guys plan to fix this thing for good.

Agreed.

> >> If tracee was restarted by PTRACE_SYSCALL, tracee enters
> >> syscall-enter-stop just prior to entering any syscall. If tracer
> >> restarts it with PTRACE_SYSCALL, tracee enters syscall-exit-stop when
> >> syscall is finished, or if it is interrupted by a signal. (That is,
> >> signal-delivery-stop never happens between syscall-enter-stop and
> >> syscall-exit-stop, it happens after syscall-exit-stop).
> >
> > This is true. But, just in case, please note that PTRACE_EVENT_EXEC
> > or PTRACE_EVENT_{FORK,CLONE,etc} can be reported in between.
>
> Aha, so PTRACE_EVENT-stops happen "within" the syscall?
> Meaning, between syscall-enter-stop and syscall-exit-stop?

Yes.

> >>       ptrace(PTRACE_cmd, pid, 0, sig);
> >> where cmd is CONT, DETACH, SYSCALL, SINGLESTEP, SYSEMU,
> >> SYSEMU_SINGLESTEP. If tracee is in signal-delivery-stop, sig is the
> >> signal to be injected. Otherwise, sig is ignored.
> >
> > There is another special case. If the tracee single-stepps into the
> > signal handler, it reports SIGTRAP as if it recieved this SIGNAL.
> > But ptrace(PTRACE, ..., sig) doesn't inject after that.
>
> This is part of missing doc about PTRACE_SINGLESTEP.
> From what you are saying it looks like PTRACE_SINGLESTEP
> implies PTRACE_SYSCALL behavior: "report syscall-stops".

Hmm. Why do you think so?

Oleg.