Re: mmap() implementation for pci_alloc_consistent() memory?

From: Clemens Ladisch
Date: Fri May 20 2011 - 02:48:50 EST

Leon Woestenberg wrote:

>> So is this an architecture without coherent caches?
>
> My aim is to have an architecture independent driver.

Please note that most MMU architectures forbid mapping the same memory
with different attributes, so you must use pgprot_noncached if and only
if dma_alloc_coherent actually uses it. Something like the code below.

And I'm not sure if you have to do some additional cache flushes when
mapping on some architectures.

>> Or would you want to use pgprot_dmacoherent, if available?
>
> Hmm, let me check that.

It's available only on ARM and Unicore32.

There's also dma_mmap_coherent(), which does exactly what you want if
your buffer is physically contiguous, but it's ARM only.
Takashi tried to implement it for other architectures; I don't know
what came of it.

Regards,
Clemens

#ifndef pgprot_dmacoherent
/* determine whether coherent mappings need to be uncached */
#if defined(CONFIG_ALPHA) || \
defined(CONFIG_CRIS) || \
defined(CONFIG_IA64) || \
(defined(CONFIG_MIPS) && defined(CONFIG_DMA_COHERENT)) || \
(defined(CONFIG_PPC) && !defined(CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE)) || \
defined(CONFIG_SPARC64) || \
defined(CONFIG_X86)
#define ARCH_HAS_DMA_COHERENT_CACHE
#endif
#endif

#ifdef pgprot_dmacoherent
vma->vm_page_prot = pgprot_dmacoherent(vma->vm_page_prot);
#elif !defined(ARCH_HAS_DMA_COHERENT_CACHE)
#ifdef CONFIG_MIPS
if (!plat_device_is_coherent(device))
#endif