RE: vmbus driver
From: KY Srinivasan
Date: Fri May 20 2011 - 09:12:44 EST
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christoph Hellwig [mailto:hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 8:27 AM
> To: KY Srinivasan
> Cc: gregkh@xxxxxxx; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
> devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: vmbus driver
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 03:06:25PM -0700, K. Y. Srinivasan wrote:
> > A few days ago you applied all the outstanding patches for the Hyper-V
> > drivers. With these patches, I have addressed all of the known review
> > comments for the vmbus driver (and a lot of comments/issues in other
> > drivers as well). I am still hoping I can address
> > whatever other issues/comments there might be with the intention to
> > get the vmbus driver out of staging in the current window. What is your
> > sense in terms of how feasible this is. From my side, I can assure you
> > that I will address all legitimate issues in a very timely manner and this
> > will not be dependent upon the location of the drivers (staging or
> > outside staging). Looking forward to hearing from you.
> There's no point in merging it without a user. Make sure either
> the network or storage driver is in a good enough shape to move with it,
> to make sure the APIs it exports are actually sanely usable.
Well, the util driver that implements a range of other services such as KVP,
time synch, heartbeat etc. is also a client of the vmbus driver (perhaps not in the
same way as the storage and network drivers). I was hoping to
move the util driver out of staging along with the vmbus driver.
On a different note, thanks to the feedback I got from you, Greg and others,
both storage and network drivers are in a much better shape than they ever were.
I will continue to cleanup the storage drivers and I would greatly appreciate your
feedback and review.
> On the other hand the HV clocksource looks mostly mergeable and doesn't
> depend on vmbus. Send a patch to add it to drivers/clocksource to the
> maintainer and it should be mergeable with very little remaining
Agreed, now that the merge window is closed, I will have to wait for a few weeks.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/