Re: (Short?) merge window reminder

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 22:11:55 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I really hope there's also a voice that tells you to wait until .42 before
> > cutting 3.0.0! :-)
>
> So I'm toying with 3.0 (and in that case, it really would be "3.0",
> not "3.0.0" - the stable team would get the third digit rather than
> the fourth one.
>
> But no, it wouldn't be for 42. Despite THHGTTG, I think "40" is a
> fairly nice round number.

Also, in all fairness, we should probably display a certain amount of humility:
while Linux has certainly reached milestones such as world domination (as far
as large and small computers are concerned), so calling it 3.0 is a fair deal,
we probably have to wait for version 42.0 before we can consider the Linux
kernel to be the ultimate answer to life, universe and everything.

Thanks,

Ingo