perf: regression -- missing /sys/devices/system/cpu/perf_events

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 09:59:52 EST

I know this is a bit late, but for some reason our users sit on these
things and then they aren't willing to take it up with linux-kernel
themselves

> > > commit 15ac9a395a753cb28c674e7ea80386ffdff21785
> > > Author: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: Mon Sep 6 15:51:45 2010 +0200
> > >
> > > perf: Remove the sysfs bits

removed the /sys/devices/system/cpu/perf_events
I thought things in /sys were stable ABI?

Apparently it's common for people to have scripts to check if
perf_events is available in a kernel by checking the existence of
/sys/devices/system/cpu/perf_events, even if they didn't use the
files within.

Now that 2.6.38 kernels are starting to hit the distros we're getting
complaints that it's missing.

Vince