Re: [tip:core/rcu] Revert "rcu: Decrease memory-barrier usagebased on semi-formal proof"

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 21:13:19 EST

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 03:49:25PM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:

> >> yes, with those revert, there is no delay in 10 times booting.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there are rcutorture test failures with the revert...
>
> confused.

Given what I had to do to generate the revert, not exactly a surprise,
I am afraid. Just means that the resulting RCU sometimes fails to
wait for all pre-existing readers, and rcutorture catches it.

> what is the next?

1. I send you a patch that I hope will fix the softlockup
you saw. I am testing this.

2. I am working on more detailed instrumentation, and will
send a patch on that.

3. If time allows, break down the operations RCU is doing
and test them in isolation.

Other thoughts?

Thanx, Paul