Re: [RFC Patch 5/6] slimdump: Capture slimdump for fatal MCE generated crashes

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Fri May 27 2011 - 14:14:13 EST

"K.Prasad" <prasad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> slimdump: Capture slimdump for fatal MCE generated crashes
>
> System crashes resulting from fatal hardware errors (such as MCE) don't need
> all the contents from crashing-kernel's memory. Generate a new 'slimdump' that
> retains only essential information while discarding the old memory.

Ugh. You are changing the kernel to change userspace policy?

And because of how you have previous populated this we won't get the
notes to let us extract dmesg easily.

No thanks. Let's change this in userspace instead.

You are going to an awful lot of work to avoid a problem that doesn't
happen to in practice.

Patching makedumpfile to key in on an mce note would be more appropriate.

Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>