Re: Linux 3.0-rc1

From: CaT
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 22:07:22 EST

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:30:32PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Now, my alpha-maleness sadly does not actually extend to all the
> scripts and Makefile rules, so the kernel is fighting back, and is
> calling itself 3.0.0-rc1. We'll have the usual 6-7 weeks to wrestle it
> into submission, and get scripts etc cleaned up, and the final release
> should be just "3.0". The -stable team can use the third number for
> their versioning.

Why not just keep the sublevel 0 for your release and let stable team
modify it for their release. That way you release 3.0.0, 3.1.0, 3.2.0
and stable do 3.0.1, 3.1.3, 3.2.1, etc. Less script breakage that way.

--
"A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."