Re: 2 small kernel config issues related to UML + RTC

From: Giuseppe CAVALLARO
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 00:17:24 EST

Hi Valdis

On 5/29/2011 7:17 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:22:01 +0200, Toralf Förster said:
>> │ Symbol: STMMAC_RTC_TIMER [=n]
>> │ Type : boolean
>> │ Prompt: Real time clock
>> │ Defined at drivers/net/stmmac/Kconfig:50
>> │ Depends on: <choice> && RTC_CLASS
>> │ Location:
>> │ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
>> │ -> Ethernet (1000 Mbit) (NETDEV_1000 [=n])
>> │ -> STMicroelectronics 10/100/1000 Ethernet driver (STMMAC_ETH [=n])
>> │ -> STMMAC Timer optimisation (STMMAC_TIMER [=n])
>> │ -> Select Timer device (<choice> [=n])
>
> Ouch. That has to be the strangest place one could *possibly* put an RTC driver. ;)
>
> Giuseppe - is that RTC driver *really* an integral part of the chipset and
> won't work without the Ethernet parts, or should the driver code for the RTC
> live elsewhere in the tree?

No the external RTC (or the SH-4 TMU) HW can be used by the driver to
handle the rx/tx process mitigating the DMA interrupts. This is not the
best approach but it actually helped many people to space the CPU
especially on old chips w/o dedicate timer.

It's likely I will remove all this code as soon as I work on a chip with
the embedded watchdog.

Regards
Giuseppe