Re: Linux 3.0-rc1

From: Mariusz Kozlowski
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 16:38:02 EST

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:47:57PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[...]

> However, I did *not* rename the git tree, because that would just be a
> huge inconvenience to git users, so it's still in the same old place
> and yes, that means that my git tree is still called "linux-2.6.git"
> on kernel.org. But it has the v3.0-rc1 tag in it.
>
> I'll probably add a symlink or something, if people really hate being
> reminded about our long history with the "2.6" numbering. But that
> won't be until closer to the real release, methinks.

You could consider freezing linux-2.6.git repository and creating new
linux-3.git repository that would serve for a couple of years until
linux-4.git. At the same time development history could be dropped between
trees so that inital clones are lighter. Anyone interested in history
can download idx/pack from linux-2.6.git repo and attach it using gratf
point[1] anyway.

Pros:
- obvious naming scheme wrt repository contents
- smaller initial clone
- new clean tag namespace

Cons:
- broken bisection for some time
- impaired log/blame/whatchanged and friends

Cons can be fixed by attaching history when needed.

[1] https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GraftPoint

--
Mariusz Kozlowski